Monday, March 9, 2020

Art Class Reflection #4


In today’s art class we worked on drawing. The elements of design that we focused on in this class were lines (smooth and horizontal), contour lines, positive and negative space, value and perspective. The materials we used in this class were markers, pencils, pastels, crayons, charcoal, and paper. In this class, we made many different drawings in our booklets. We were given a shape on the board and needed to copy it into our booklet and make it into something. I developed my shape into a bird. Next, we needed to make a shape and then pass it to the next person in our group. Then you needed to add eyes to the shape, then pass and add a big nose, then pass and add a mouth, and finally, add some hair. We were then asked to make something using only letters. I created a butterfly using the letter B, I, and Y. We were then asked to work on drawing the negative space in a photo that was provided on the board. This was to introduce us to drawing negative spaces. We then needed to gather



In today’s art class we worked on drawing. The elements of design that we focused on in this class were lines (smooth and horizontal), contour lines, positive and negative space, value and perspective. The materials we used in this class were markers, pencils, pastels, crayons, charcoal, and paper. In this class, we made many different drawings in our booklets. We gesture drawing, contour drawing, negative and positive space drawing, and one-point perspective drawing. After experimenting with different drawing methods, we then worked on our final project which was where we needed to choose 3 objects to be in our drawing. I choose a bottle, a pear, and a pinecone. We were to take a zoomed-in photo of the objects and begin sketching them focusing on negative and positive space. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture or a copy of the sketch as it is in the portfolio at school and do not have access to it. I made my sketch using pencil and paper. I started by outlining each shape before adding any details to my sketch. My sketch was not completed as I ran out of class time and did not take my portfolio home.


When making this project, I learned about the many different drawing techniques you can use to compose a drawing. I also learned the importance of measuring the object with our eyes. It's important to start with the center and measure half, to proportionate you're drawing the best you can. Make sure you are looking at each object and can identify which object is the largest and smallest and scale them correctly based on the picture. For instance, in my drawing my bottle should be bigger than my pinecone and pear.

Through this project, I communicated space. This was communicated through this art piece as I focused on the positive and negative space of each of the shapes. Similarly, I also focused on perspective. By using the perspective technique called overlapping. I made sure to overlap the items as they were overlapped in the photo I order to show which objects were closer to the viewer and which one were further away.

The thing I enjoyed the most about this art piece was being able to choose the three objects that we wanted to draw. I thought it was a neat addition to allow us to be creative in picking our items that we were going to draw. The thing I liked the least about this art project was drawing the pinecone. I found it very difficult to draw the pinecone because it was such a detailed piece. My other objects were rather simple in their shape with some difficulty, while the pinecone had a lot of detail.

The one thing I would change about this project for next time is to pick a different object other than a pinecone. Although it is good to have a challenge, I also think it's important to work up to that challenge. I think the pinecone was a little too complex to draw for myself and would have benefited more from starting with an easier object and moving onto that later. This would help make my drawing more successful.

In this art project, I used the creative process by starting out with exploring and experimenting with a variety of different drawing techniques at the beginning of class. We then moved onto producing our preliminary drawing once we had collected our materials. I then moved into the revising and refining step of the creative process as I refined and revise my drawing in order to make sure each object was the correct size and overlapped each other correctly. Although I do not have a picture or copy of my artwork currently, I would have presented it if I did have it. Then finally, as I write about the artwork here, I am reflecting on the different techniques and elements of designs that I used during this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Class Reflection #6

In today’s art class we worked on printmaking. I experimented with a variety of objects before completing my final piece. I started off t...