
During this art class, I created a face using half of Van Gogh’s technique and half of Picasso’s famous technique. This artwork is a form of drawing and I used pastels. The left side of the face is done in all warm colours and used Picasso’s technique. I originally drew the half the of the face and then cut it into a bunch of pieces and reassembled it to make this creation. It is supposed to appear as the face is looking into a broken mirror. On the other half of the face (right side), I used Van Gogh’s technique and used only cool coloured pastels. Van Gogh’s technique consists of small strokes of the pastel until the image is covered in colour. I started this art by tracing the outline of my face and dividing it into two equal parts. Once I had split the face into two equal parts I started with cool colours and the Van Gogh technique on the right. I used three colours; blue, green and then purple. For each pastel, I created small strokes throughout a section and then switched colours to fill in the spaces. Once I had finished the Van Gosh side, I moved onto the left side of the face where I started drawing with orange, red and yellow pastels. I just randomly started drawing on the face with no specific pattern. Once I had completely coloured in the face with warm colours I cut out the face. I then proceeded to cut down the middle of the face to separate it into two parts. After this, I began to cut up the left side of the face into different pieces to represent the broken mirror and Picasso’s style of art. I then slowly assembled the pieces in the order I wanted them and glue them onto a black background. I was happy to see the final product of my art. We were given the choice of Picasso, Van Gogh, Matisse or another artist who used an array of triangles. I originally was going to do half Van Gogh and half Matisse because I was nervous about how Picasso would turn out. I decided later, that I would rather experiment and try Picasso instead of Matisse. I was happy I changed my mind. During this art creation, we were to focus on shape, form, and symmetry. We needed to also develop a drawing using warm and cool colours but express them separately on different halves of the face. This separation of colours made an interesting contrasting final piece.
One thing I learned while making this project was the different drawing methods Van Gogh, Matisse, and Picasso used. As I am familiar with these artists names and some of their work, I had not realized they all had a specific technique they followed. I have Van Gogh’s image of ‘Starry Night’ artwork and have never realized that it was all made of small little strokes until we discussed this further in class.
Through this piece of art, I have communicated concept, creativity, technique, and contrast. In this artwork, I portrayed the concept as there are different textures displayed within this piece of art. I also portrayed technique by including two famous artists techniques within one image. I used creativity by using a specific choice in colour, and by assembling the images in their own unique way. Lastly, I portrayed contrast by contrasting different colours (warm and cool) as well as different techniques; small strokes versus broken mirror image.
The thing I enjoyed most about this project was producing drawings using the techniques of famous artists to make this project. I enjoyed Van Gogh’s technique as it was a very simple and interesting technique. I also enjoyed using Picasso’s technique I thought it was interesting the concept behind the art, such as it looked as if you had dropped a mirror and the image was scattered. The thing I didn’t like about this art as much is that we were limited to colour scheme and number of colours. When making the right side of the image, I had two different blue colours that I was interested in using but I had already chosen three colours, which was the maximum. Another thing I did not like as much is that we had to choose one side of the face for cool colours and the other side for warm colours. I think this piece of artwork would more interesting if we had done the whole thing in cool or warm colours to contrast the art style more than the colour.
If I were to do this project again I would do the whole image in cool or warm colours. By doing so, it would be more of a clear distinction between the artists’ style of drawing and less emphasis on colour. It would be interesting to see the contrast of the artists style more prominent.

I used the creative process in today’s artwork as I started by exploring and experimenting with the materials. Before I started working on my project I tried out the different techniques on a practice piece of paper. I realized I wanted to use Van Gogh’s technique for sure but I was still pondering whether I wanted to use Matisse or Picasso’s style for my other half. I started planning and focusing my idea and decided I was going to go Van Gogh and Matisse. I started to then move to the next stage of the creative process and produce my preliminary work. I had fully completed my right side of the face using the Van Gogh method and then began to start using the Matisse method on the left side. After drawing some of the pieces of the left side, I realized I wanted to try Picassos. So I went back to my practice piece and started cutting out pieces of face to put together and imagine how the art would look. I then realized I wanted to revise and refine my idea to include Picasso. I then start drawing more sporadically and then cut out the pieces to form a Picasso image. I then used the imaging aspect of the creative process to lay out the pieces to see how the art piece would look if it was put all together. Once I found the right order I wanted the pieces I began to glue them down. I am now engaging in the reflection piece of the creative process by reviewing and analyzing my artwork I have completed.
No comments:
Post a Comment